Thursday, September 22, 2011

Home Sweet Bailey/Howe


By now you know Bercaw is back.

After testing in the hot waters in New Orleans, it turned out that I longed for the cool Green Mountain State, and my dear colleagues and friends here.

I thought it appropriate that my first re-entry blog, during Staff Appreciation week, should say how much I appreciate the staff of the UVM Libraries and Learning Resources. (Faculty, you know I adore you too, of course, and this pertains to you as well.)

What I like about our workplace the most is that we are free to be you and me.

I love being surrounded by thinkers, doers, dancers, writers, musicians, mermaids, singers, activists, problem-solvers, dog-lovers, cat-lovers, golfers, runners, bikers, travelers, hikers, brewers, farmers, collectors, artists, horse wranglers, privacy-protectors, genealogists, programmers, bakers, ultimate Frisbee players, ferry commuters. There's a place for all of us here. We are a rare collection of history and interests, just like the tomes in our home away from home.

This is a place where debate is valued and people are cherished. We might disagree from time to time, but the bottom line is that we respect each other as much as our work. In fact, this a place where take interest in each others' joys outside of work.

I look forward to seeing my co-staff at this afternoon's gathering in B/H Staff Lounge at 3 p.m. It's so very good to be among you again.

Always,
Nancy

P.S. Here's my New Orleans story in a nutshell: http://www.7dvt.com/2011house-swapping

1 comment: