Friday, July 6, 2007

Library Tour '07: Acquisitions, CDI, Maps & Government Documents






"The last thing you learn about yourself is your effect."
--William Boyd, "Brazzaville Beach"

I'm in shock. I'd say awe too, but they've gotten a bad rap when used together. When I set out to explore the libraries in an attempt to learn more about the place I work, I had no idea of the grandeur of what you all do. It's not that I don't have a big enough imagination, but some things you just have to see to believe. Since you all already know what you do, I will simply share the effect you had on me:

  • On Monday, I visited Acquisitions where Albert explained that they "order books and pay for them." It's also where they fix them, as I learned. But despite Albert's relatively simple explanation, what they do seems more like managing a hedge fund in my opinion. Elaborate.
  • On Tuesday, I went up the CDI to see Winona's World. Actually, she and everyone involved with the CDI are saving the world. Literally. The CDI is in the process of digitizing documents in the public domain so that we have a permanent electronic record of the life and times of all sorts of folks.
  • On Friday, I ventured with Sharon into Maps and Government Documents, which is located in the basement but essentially offers a window to the world of politics and place. I could barely get my mind around the contents of the collection. I told Scott that it's a good thing I didn't have to make any speeches because I was speechless. (Stay tuned, my tour continues next week with a trip to Dana.)

No comments: