Friday, July 13, 2007

Libraries Tour '07: Dana (Part I: Communications ) and B/H: Info & Instruction

The people who work at UVM Libraries get a lot done, as I continue to learn on my libraries tour. An hour with Laura Haines in Dana, in fact, taught me that I need to spend several more hours there to get a better working knowledge of their specific work. For now, I will say that I found their facts and figures fascinating. Dana folks had 934 "Liaison Interactions" through their liaison program. And what's especially extraordinary is that the information they are providing their patrons has the potential to be life saving.
Back in Bailey/Howe, I talked with Daisy Benson for an hour about how students learn to find information they can't find for themselves. I found out, as they inevitably do, that Google doesn't have access to everything -- what you need is someone in Info & Instruction Services to show you the multiple database paths to data. Daisy showed me how to find an article in an electronic periodical (one I didn't know existed) and a rare book (which actually was at Dana) -- both of which will make an enormous difference in a short story (about two rare medical disorders) that I have been working on for two years. So I can see how it would be genuine time saver for patrons of all kinds. Next week, I hope to see Angie and Tina at Dana as well as Lori in Bailey/Howe.

No comments: