Friday, December 4, 2009

How I learned to know and love the library


There is this film (Fight Club) where the main character has a peculiar, personal way of expressing emotions: "I am Jack's complete lack of surprise," for example.

I am Ana and this is Ana's intro to a fascinating world called UVM Libraries. This is my first semester at UVM, my third month working in the Bailey/ Howe Library and my first post on this blog.

This Library can make a lot of libraries look like a joke. I spent a lot of time here even before I started school or work. I simply liked the feeling. Starting with the first floor, then zigzagging from the Media Center to the Second Floor and finally ending up at the last one. That's where you can hear your thoughts. Where people respect this thing called SILENCE. And it's nice. It's nice to have that option. The option to discover the thoughts in the books and the way they manage to infiltrate in every hidden corner of your mind. And how they will reveal themselves at a certain point in your existence.

I am a Film Major. And a Sophomore, almost a Junior. The third floor has rows after rows of books about films. Whatever you could think of. My first absurd thought was 'what if I get locked in the library one night?/ There's no way I would get bored.' And I still believe that. Either working or studying or just being there, the 'good feeling' doesn't go away.

This is Ana's second step to discovering the Library. This is also Ana's goodbye for now.

No comments: