DEAN’S COUNCIL MINUTES
A Meeting of the Dean’s Council was held on Thursday, June 7, 2007, from 12:30 to 3 p.m. in the Dean’s Conference Room.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Mara Saule, Marianne Burke, Paul Philbin, Birdie MacLennan, Keith Gresham, Selene Colburn, Peter Blackmer, Jeff Marshall and Nancy Bercaw.
I. Duct/Air Situation in B/H
Peter Blackmer reported on a meeting, held Thursday morning, with Roland Dion, buildings coordinator with Physical Plant, to discuss New England Air System’s proposal to clean the duct system in Bailey/Howe. (Scott Miller, Terry Robbins, Barbara St. Gelais of Risk Management, Keith Gresham and Paul Philbin also attended the meeting.) The proposal consists of five phases. The first phase – cleaning the ducts for the return air – is the most important and potentially the most disruptive because it requires the entire air system to be shut down for several days. (Phases 2-5 will close only one floor at a time.) The time frame is under review in an effort to condense phase one to the shortest period with the fewest interruptions. Concerns were raised about the wellbeing of employees, patrons and collections, as well as issues surrounding contingency plans and disaster preparedness.
Dean Saule will speak to the Provost on Friday about the situation. A follow up meeting with Roland Dion and library representatives will take place on Monday, June 11. At the Libraries’ Open Forum on Wednesday, June 13 at 10 a.m., libraries employees will have the opportunity to review the proposal and get the latest information about the duct cleaning process.
II. Business Meals/Amenities and Independent Contractor Policies
Peter discussed the guidelines for using general-fund dollars for business purposes in regard to business meals and amenities. The University no longer pays for lunches on one-day business/professional events. Regarding on-campus professional development events, Blackmer said that the business purpose must be evident and clearly articulated, and his colleagues in other departments are facing the same scrutiny and accountability. The Council agreed that the guidelines need to be communicated clearly. Blackmer will address the issue at the next Libraries Open Forum. The policy statements can be found at http://www.uvm.edu/~uvmppg/ppg/procure/businessmeals.pdf
III. R2 Follow Up
Eight to 10 working topics were established at the post-R2 Report Open Forum in May. After July 4, the Dean’s Council will meet to discuss the working groups and to carve out strategies for the larger framework. Dean Saule encouraged department heads to keep the ball rolling on the recommendations that can be easily implemented.
IV. December Intersession Schedule
The President’s Office is considering closing the university between Christmas and New Year’s again this year. Dean Saule asked department heads to start thinking ahead about the libraries’ status during this period.
V. Libraries Tagline
Selene Colburn reported on the Communication Team’s survey results on several proposed taglines. She related concerns about the value and purpose of a tagline. Dean Saule commented that a tagline “enlivens UVM Libraries” and should be about communicating our spirit more than what we do.
Paul Philbin reported that the Voyager will be down August 13 and 14 while the system is being upgraded.
VI. WebFeat Express Task Force
Keith Gresham reported that the WebFeat Express Task Force is considering launch. Implementation is moving ahead.
VII. Creation of B/H Library Liaison Program
A Library Liaison Program, under consideration by the Information & Instruction Department, is moving ahead to implementation.
VIII. Offsite Storage Project
Birdie MacLennan said Peter Spitzform has identified more than 30,000 books for the Williston Annex (formerly known as Deep Space) to be moved in July. In the event they are requested, the existing daily loop system also can be used for retrieval.
IX. Electronic theses and dissertations
Birdie reported that CMS has developed a system for including UVM thesis and dissertations as part of the libraries’ electronic collection.
X. Insurance Valuations
Risk Management has requested a value for collections. Albert Joy will complete the valuation evaluation.
Jeff Marshall said a talk and exhibit by Susan Johanknecht, a protégé of Claire van Vliet, is being planned. Also, David Richardson, a descendent of H.H. Richardson, is giving part of his personal collection (in Woodstock) to UVM. Connie Gallagher will spearhead that effort.
Peter Blackmer said that FY 08 has been built and submitted. Salary letters for the entire university will go out the third week in June. He reminded department heads that every employee is required to submit hours.
Keith Gresham noted that Karin Bell will be leaving B/H in early July. Margaret Hull is leaving as well.
Selene Colburn said she is now operating from a “mobile office” and can be found in the CDI space. She can be reached by cell phone or email.